What problems can it help?
Mental and Physical Health condition management.
Mental Health Conditions:
- Depression, Low Self Esteem, Perfectionism, Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders including Generalised Anxiety (GAD), Phobias, Social Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Health Anxiety
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Self harm or suicidal ideation
- COPD, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Cancer, Asthma, Diabetes, Chronic Fatigue, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Tinnitus and others.
It does not need to be an all encompassing problem.
What if it is just stress? What if it is just a bad time? What if it does not effect me all the time?
You do not have to have a full blown mental health disorder to benefit from CBT. You don’t have to experience the problem 24 hours a day.
Put simply, if the problem is causing you mental distress and negatively impacting any part of your functioning then it merits trying to change that. CBT will likely be able to teach you strategies to build resilience and navigate a solution.
CBT is suited to work with a range of mild to moderate presentations like
- poor self-care, sleep problems, unhealthy relationships with food/exercise
- social isolation and struggles with procrastination/motivation.